This spiced mince recipe is one of my absolute faves- the Middle-Eastern spices are traditionally suited to lamb mince, but it works remarkably well with kangaroo mince, which has an equally strong, meaty flavour but is a much leaner alternative.
Cooked with chickpeas, fresh cherry tomatoes and chopped parsley, then spooned onto roasted eggplants; this dish is super hearty and makes for a deliciously aromatic, microwavable weekday lunch.
Stuffed Eggplant with Kangaroo and Chickpeas
Roasted eggplants stuffed with spiced kangaroo mince, chickpeas and cherry tomatoes
Servings: 5 servings
- 5 large eggplants
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium red onions- diced
- 3 cloves garlic- crushed
- 1kg kangaroo mince or substitute with lamb mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes- halved
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley- leaves picked and roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C
- Cut the eggplants in half-lengthways, and score the flesh diagonally with X's. Brush lightly with olive oil and place them on a roasting tray, skin-side down. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool
- In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet. Add all the spices to the pan with the diced onions and fry on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, kangaroo mince, tomato paste, sugar and canned chickpeas and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook and stir for a further 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes into halves and roughly chop the parsley. Combine these with the spiced mince mixture, and gently spoon the stuffing onto each eggplant
- Garnish with more parsley, and serve
Calories: 392kcal Carbs: 28.1g | Fat: 10.8g | Protein: 47.2g