I have a confession to make. I’m great at cooking and preparing savoury food, but I suck at baking. It’s another art form that I’d love to be good at, but simply haven’t had the patience, time or skill to develop. So when an occasion rises where I’m required to contribute something sweet (that isn’t, say… chia pudding), this recipe is my safety blanket.
This recipe requires minimal prep and absolutely no cooking time! These raw slices are also great for all dietary intolerances- they’re vegan, gluten-free, refined-sugar free, and they’re damn delicious.
This recipe is truly fail-proof; simply combine all of your ingredients in a food processor, blitz until smooth, then pack it down into square baking tray and leave to set in the fridge.
I’ve decorated these slices with pistachios and freeze-dried raspberries, but there are a myriad of flavour combinations you can try out; add peanuts or walnuts for more crunch, simply top with desiccated coconut for a more minimal approach.
Raw Cashew, Coconut & Cacao Slice
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight
- 1 cup medjool dates
- ⅔ cups raisins
- 1½ cups desiccated coconut
- ½ cup cacao
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- maple syrup- to taste
- 1 tbsp pistachios
- 2 tbsp freeze-dried strawberries
- Soak the cashews in water overnight to soften.
- Drain water from cashews, combine with the remainder of the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth
- Add the maple syrup slowly and taste until it is sweet to your desired taste
- Line a small square tray with baking paper, spoon the cashew coconut mixture out and press into the tray with a spatula until a level slab forms
- Top with more dessicated coconuts, pistachios and strawberries, press these in to ensure they stick
- Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours to set, then slice into squares and serve