Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you- a handful of fresh, simple ingredients dressed in the most deliciously umami miso dressing will have you set for lunch for the week ahead.
This miso dressing is a major staple for a lot of my noodle salads, and rice bowls; I like to make about 4-5x the amount listed below, simply combine all the ingredients in a small jar, shake it up and leave it in the fridge ready for every occasion. It’s ultra versatile and tastes amazing on chicken or poached fish, on soba noodles, roasted eggplants or pumpkin, or drizzled on leafy salads.
This week, I’ve drizzled it all over this simple rice bowl; steamed jasmine rice with sauteed mushrooms, curly kale, crunchy radish, tender poached chicken and lots of spring onions and toasted sesame seeds.
Miso Chicken & Mushroom Rice Bowl
- 1 kg chicken breast- poached & diced
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 100 g swiss brown mushrooms- cleaned & sliced
- 125 g portobello mushrooms- cleaned and sliced
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms- soaked for 2-3 hours and drained, then sliced
- 2 cloves garlic- minced
- 2 tsp ginger- minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds- white & black, lightly toasted
- 5 fresh radish- thinly sliced
- 5-8 stems curly kale- cleaned, de-stemmed and shredded
- 2-3 cups steamed jasmine rice
- 2-3 stems spring onions- thinly sliced
- 30 g toasted walnuts
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp mirin
- ½ tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp freshly minced ginger
- Poach the diced chicken breast in boiling water- about 7-10 minutes. Shred the cooked chicken once cooled.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil on medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, garlic and ginger, sesame seeds and season with salt & pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Divide the chicken, mushrooms and remaining ingredients into 5 lunchboxes or bowls.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the miso dressing in a small bowl. Pour over the rice bowls or set aside until ready to serve
- Top each bowl with spring onions and toasted walnuts