This quick, throw-together Mexican Breakfast Bowl makes for a lovely, well-balanced start to the day. Soft-boiled eggs atop a bed of smokey black beans and corn, fresh cherry tomatoes and creamy diced avocado. I’ve added shredded kale and cauliflower rice for a major nutrient boost, although you can add some brown rice for something a little more substantial. This all comes together to make a big, bountiful bowl that’ll keep you satiated through your morning.
Mexican Breakfast Bowl
- 4 eggs
- 200 g cauliflower rice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic- crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
- 1 tsp oregano
- 50 g chipotle chillies in adobo
- 120 g black beans- canned or pre-soaked and cooked
- 150 g corn kernels- frozen or canned
- 25 g tomato paste
- 2 stems kale- stems removed and roughly torn
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 50 g avocado- diced
- 1 stalk spring onions- finely sliced
- sliced or pickled jalapenos (optional)
- Place the eggs in a small saucepan, fill with boiled water and turn the heat to medium high. Boil for 6 minutes for soft boiled- or longer to cook to your liking. Set aside to cool, then peel.
- In a small non-stick saucepan, lightly saute the cauliflower rice for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Serve onto 2 serving plates
- Add the olive oil to the pre-heated saucepan, add the garlic, smoked paprika, cumin and oregano, and fry for 2 minutes
- Add the chipotle chilies and their sauce, the drained black beans, corn kernels and tomato paste.
- Gently stir to combine, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Spoon the salsa mixture over the cauliflower rice
- Top with cherry tomatoes, diced avocado and scatter with spring onions and jalapeno slices. Cut the boiled eggs into halves and place over the top