This Kimchi Udon Stir Fry is a serious flavour bomb; thick starchy udon noodles coated in a spicy gochujang sauce, stir-fried with chicken breast and kimchi. Add an egg yolk for extra creaminess, and top with spring onions, sesame seeds and roasted nori. It’s boldly flavoured, deliciously umami and deeply satisfying. Have a glass of icy water ready and switch the fan setting to ‘HIGH, this one’s a scorcher.
Kimchi- deliciously spicy, pickled cabbage, it’s a traditionally Korean dish; think of it as spicy sauerkraut. As it’s fermented, kimchi actually boasts a tonne of health benefits; it contains probiotics which supports gut health, reduces inflammation and all of the Chinese cabbage that gets packed into kimchi means a superboost of Vitamin C, K, Folate and Riboflavin. The fermentation process also means that the nutrients are more easily absorbed. Double win!
Udon noodles are readily available at Asian grocers or in the Asian aisle of most supermarkets. Fresh udon is better if you can get your hands on it, otherwise frozen udon is also deliciously chewy. Packeted udon is also fine, although these tend to have a starchier texture and will be less firm.
For the protein component, some pork or beef bulgogi would be delicious (check out my recipe for Bulgogi Bibimbap Bowl if you’d like to give the Bulgogi a try). I’ve used chicken breast to keep this meal light. If you’re after a vegetarian option, some sliced tofu would also substitute nicely.
Kimchi Udon Stir Fry
- 2 packs udon noodles
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large chicken breast- diced
- 1 cup kimchi- chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ tbsp korean soy sauce
- 2 tbsp gochujang
- ½ tbsp korean chilli flakes
- ½ tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic- minced
- 2 eggs yolk only
- 2 spring onions- thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white & black sesame seeds- toasted
- thinly sliced nori sheets
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil, season with salt & cook the udon noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the noodles and wash them in cold water.
- In the meantime, place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced chicken breast, lightly season with salt and cook for 6 minutes
- Add the chopped kimchi & any extra kimchi juice to the skillet, and stir until the liquid has reduced and the kimchi is slightly caramelised
- Add the chicken/vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the gochujang sauce in a small bowl. Add this to the skillet
- Add the cooked udon noodles to the skillet, and combine all the ingredients together. Stir-fry for a further 2-3 minutes or until the sauce has thickened
- Serve into 2 serving bowls, and garnish with an uncooked egg yolk, spring onions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds