I served this up as a side dish for a festive dinner over the weekend, and my friends referred to it as a ‘modern potato salad’. I like that, I’ll take it! Growing up, potato salads were an overlooked but nonetheless, delicious staple at every summer barbecue. Humble boiled potatoes with hard-boiled eggs and gluggy mayonaise- it was a delicious, guilty mess that was utterly perfect piled atop grilled hunks of meat.
With this version of the potato salad, I’ve spruced up the classic dish with a couple of twists for a slightly more sophisticated salad that still delivers the starchy, creamy goodness, with some fresher flavours for a more balanced dish that can play co-star to your mains at a celebratory meal.
Baby potatoes with soft boiled eggs first- your potato salad essentials! Add some smoked trout and chopped capers for a savoury, umami kick. Then add chopped radish and celery to brighten up the flavours and add a bit of crunch, and top it all off with a generous scattering of parsley, dill and chives.
The creamy, home-made mayo is so beautiful and bright if you pull together the right, high-quality ingredients- whisk the egg yolk, garlic powder, dijon mustard, lemon juice (or white wine vinegar, or half and half!) and olive oil together in a small bowl. Keep tasting and balancing the flavours to get it how you like it. With this salad, I prefer a little more mustard for a tangy sharpness that balances the starchy potatoes, but find a balance to suit your palate.
Herbed Potato Salad with Smoked Trout
- 5 baby potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 fillet smoked trout
- 1 tbsp capers- washed and roughly chopped
- 2 radishes- thinly sliced
- 1 stick celery- thinly diced a 10-15cm stalk of celery will do
- 1 handful parsley- roughly chopped
- 1 handful dill- roughly chopped
- 1 handful chives- roughly chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 60 ml olive oil
- Bring a pot of water to boil, season generously with salt, and boil the potatoes for 5-8 minutes (or until tender. Set aside to cool
- Add the eggs to a pot of water and bring to boil. Cook for 5 minutes (for soft-boiled) or to your liking. Drain and cool
- Prepare all of the fresh ingredients- chop the capers, radishes and celery, and tear the smoked trout into chunks.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and season well with salt.
- Peel the eggs and cut into quarters
- Combine all of the ingredients and top with fresh herbs.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the home-made mayonnaise. Pour this over the salad and gently combine until the ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spoon onto serving bowls, garnish with more fresh herbs and some freshly cracked pepper
PaleodebcooksJanuary 3, 2020 at 8:58 am