Harissa Beef Stew
A fragrant, chunky beef stew slowly simmered with harissa paste, butter beans and winter vegetables
Servings: 5 servings
- 800g-1kg beef chuck, stewing beef or gravy beef- cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp harissa paste store bought, or made from scratch- see below for recipe
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 500 ml vegetable or beef stock
- 400 g diced tomato
- 1 capsicum- grilled
- ½ tsp ground coriander seed
- ½ tsp ground cumin seed
- ½ tsp caraway seed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 red onion- finely sliced
- ½ tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 long red chillis- or ½ tbsp chilli flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 250 g carrots- peeled and sliced
- 150 g parsnip- peeled and cut into chunks
- 150 g brown onion- peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 can butter beans or chickpeas
- 50 g raisins
- 1 lemon- juice only
- flat-leaf parsley- leaves picked
- To make the harissa paste (if using store-bought paste, skip to the next step): fry the red onions over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and spices, and fry for a further minute. Add the spices and onions to a blender, with the roasted capsicum and the remaining ingredients. Blitz until smooth.
- Dice the beef into 2-3 cm cubes. Add the harissa and evenly coat. Refrigerate and marinade for at least 6 hours
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the beef, bay leaves, star anise, cinnamon stick, ginger, turmeric, paprika and chilli flakes. Fry for 2-3 minutes, continuously tossing for 1-2 minutes until the beef is evenly coated and browned all over.
- Add the diced tomatoes and beef stock. Add enough stock to ensure that the beef is completely submerged. Stir well and bring to a gentle simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue to simmer for 1½ hours.
- In the meantime, pre-heat the oven to 180°C. Scatter the carrots and parsnips over a lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Add in the brown onions, and roast for a further 15 minutes. The vegetables should be fork-tender but still retain a slight firmness.
- Add the vegetables to the beef stew. Add in the drained butter beans, raisins and a squeeze of lemon juice. Cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve warm, add a large handful of parsley and an extra squeeze of lemon.
Calories: 367kcal Carbs: 21.5g | Fat: 9.5g | Protein: 44.2g