Eggplant, Chicken & Chickpea Curry
Eggplant & tomatoes simmered in spices with chicken breast and chickpeas
Servings: 5 people
- ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 150 g brown onion
- 4 cloves garlic- minced
- 2 tsp ginger- minced
- 1.5kg eggplants- cut into 2-3cm cubes
- 400 g canned cherry tomatoes
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- ½ tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1kg chicken breast- diced into 2-3cm pieces
Curry Spice Blend
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 red chilli- finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry spice blend, cook for 1 minute, tossing continuously.
- Add the chopped eggplants and canned tomato, 2 tbsp of the stock and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until the eggplant starts to soften. Add a few more spoonfuls of stock if the sauce starts to dry out.
- Add the remaining vegetable stock and maple syrup, bring to boil and reduce the heat to medium. Partly cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the eggplant is tender.
- Add the drained chickpeas and diced chicken. Bring to boil and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Divide into serving bowls, with steamed rice or flatbread.
Calories: 420kcal Carbs: 34.8g | Fat: 4.9g | Protein: 71.8g